Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pedagogical Implications

When planning teaching strategies, I tend always to look at a text from a text level perspective. As can be seen in the activity from my last post, I find it very effective to consider themes and ideas in a text, and the way texts are used to position audiences. These priorities reflect an emphasis in my teaching on the reading and viewing strand of the curriculum. Likewise, I find the text participant role of the four resources model easiest to incorporate into my teaching. I have always enjoyed reading and understanding texts, and appear, as a result, to have prioritised this form of learning for my students. Designing this strategy, however, has demonstrated that reading never really occurs apart from writing, listening and speaking.

Careful study of the curriculum outcomes has also shown that even tasks with a text-level focus naturally incorporate word- and sentence-level learning. When rewriting the events of Once, for example, students need to develop simple, compound and complex sentences and use appropriate vocabulary and punctuation (Department of Education, n.d., p. 110). I am well aware of the importance of grammar and word-level learning in English. I also recognise the need to make this sometimes ‘mundane’ learning relevant to students. As such, I need to ensure that explicit grammar teaching is included when I design broader text studies.

In studying the theory behind the modes of communication and developing a teaching strategy, I have realised that I struggle with the same preconceptions, regarding speaking and listening, as many teachers. Although our society values good orators, the education system prioritises reading and writing as the main literacy indicators. Particularly with the pressures of NAPLAN testing, teaching these areas has taken priority for many teachers (McDougall, 2004; Nixon, 2001). Similarly, my own English background placed significant emphasis on reading and writing, sometimes at the expense of speaking and listening. However, speaking and listening are clearly essential to many of the outcomes embedded in the other two strands. Words like ‘explain’, ‘describe’ and ‘discuss’ which are used extensively in the reading strand of the curriculum (DoE, n.d. pp.61-2), require students to use their speaking and listening skills. Recognition of the relationship between oracy and the more ‘conventional’ literacy skills enables me to better appreciate the importance of classroom and small group discussion in student learning.

References:
Department of Education Tasmania (n.d.). The Tasmanian curriculum: English-literacy K-10 syllabus and support materials. Hobart, Tasmania: Author.

McDougall, J. K. (2004). Changing mindsets: A study of
Queensland primary teachers and the visual literacy initiative. North Rockhampton, Qld: Central Queensland University.

Nixon, H. (2001). The book, the TV series, the website…: Teaching and learning within the communicational webs of popular media culture. In 'Leading literate lives: AATE / ALEA joint national conference, Hobart 12-15 July 2001'. Hobart: AATE / ALEA.


No comments:

Post a Comment